An essential course for electrical engineers and technicians needing to upgrade their skills to include fieldbus installation, commissioning and maintenance. This two-day, hands-on course teaches the design, installation and testing of complete PROFIBUS networks including DP, PA and optical fibre technology. It covers in depth the practical techniques of faultfinding on 'operational' PROFIBUS networks.
Day 1 covers bus layout and termination, grounding rules and practices, the course will teach delegates how to avoid common, but potentially expensive, installation problems. The course provides theoretical and practical training in PROFIBUS network technology using a hands-on approach. The course finishes with multiple-choice and practical tests that ensure the competence of the trainees. Successful candidates will be awarded Certified PROFIBUS Installer status. The training provided by this course is an essential requirement for companies who are engaged in fieldbus installation. Certified PROFIBUS Installers are the first step to achieving reliable and trouble-free fieldbus systems.
Click here for in-depth information including Learning Outcomes for the Certified PROFIBUS Installer element of this course.
Day 2 follows on to teach techniques including the use of a modern PROFIBUS analyser, Class 1 and Class 2 master functions (engineering tools such as ProfiTrace) to diagnose network faults, device faults and I/O problems. Students also learn how to use a soft digital storage oscilloscope in conjunction with these tools to diagnose and accurately locate cable, connection and device faults.
Since November 2013, most of the theory training has been converted to an online system with accompanying textbook enabling trainees to get a much better understanding of the course content before arriving at the Training Centre. The textbook, "PROFIBUS in Practice - System Engineering, Troubleshooting and Maintenance", is posted to you after registration and is also available on Amazon.
To Register - See bottom of page for Registration Form
Course Content - Certified Installer
- Overview of PROFIBUS network technology
- PROFIBUS DP wiring guidelines
- Practical - Build and test cable for network. BT200 exercises.
- Repeaters, fibre optics and PA segments
- Examples, practical exercises and tutorial problems
- Practical test/open-book multiple-choice test
- Questionnaires and course feedback session
Course Content - Commissioning & MaintenanceThis is a practical course based around a working PROFIBUS network with operational devices. Each pair of students has a modern notebook computer with hardware and software for PROFIBUS device exercising and fault-finding. It covers: 1. Configuration
- Network Configuration and Cycle Time Estimation
- GSD Files and Configuration
- ProfiTrace Class I and Class II Master Functions
- Exercise 1 - Configuration
- Exercise 2 - Build a Network
- Protocol Analysers
- ProfiTrace Ultra
- Message Filtering
- Message Triggering
- Exercise 3 - Reading messages
- Exercise 4 - Capturing and interpreting a message
- Common PROFIBUS Faults
- Reflections and Reflection Measurement
- Extended Diagnostics
- Configuration Faults
- Exercise 5 - Generating and locating reflections
- Exercise 6 - Cable length estimation
- Class 2 Commands
- Stealing a Slave
- Exercise 7 - Stealing a slave
- PA Device Parameters
- The PA Profile
- Data Exchange
- Using ProfiTrace on PA Segments
- A DTM Asset Management Tool - FieldCare
- Exercise 8 - Reading PA device data
A sample of comments from previous attendees:
- "I just want to say it was a great course and have already booked in first job from it." - Jake Little, K Little Control Systems Ltd
- "Really informative with an instructor who clearly knew her stuff" - Adam Sheppard, EfW Maintenance Technician - E, C & I, SITA UK Ltd
- "In comparison to other courses, this course is positioned at the top of the tree with the balance of online modules, published textbooks and classroom learning, providing an excellent learning experience." - Paul Farrington, Zariv Ltd
- "I found the course excellent and learnt a lot. The equipment, tools and software provided were the best available. I will be back to complete certified engineer course." - Joseph Carroll, J Carroll Ltd
- "Thank you very much, it was a pleasure attending your course. As soon as I get the chance, I will be getting in touch with respect to furthering our qualifications in this field." - Steve Godfrey, Ham Baker Adams Ltd
- "Excellent course. Recommended to anyone who is involved in fieldbus installation."
- "For one day we covered much more than I would have expected."
- "The course was excellent and added much of value to my PROFIBUS experience."
- "It is imperative that installers of PROFIBUS networks attend this course"
- “Good course with the right mix of theory and practical”
- “Training modules taken at the right pace so that information can be easily understood”
- “I enjoyed the course and now have a fuller understanding of how PROFIBUS is installed and operates”
- “Just right!”
- “Excellent course, I will be back for the Engineer course!”
- “Very good and professional”
- “Excellent course, very informative, very professional”
PROFIBUS in Practice, installing PROFIBUS devices and cablesPublished by Manchester Metropolitan University, this new textbook covers guidelines and good practice for installing PROFIBUS systems and is a valuable and portable reference for anyone who is involved in PROFIBUS systems design and installation.
After booking a place on one of MMU's Certified PROFIBUS Installer courses, students are posted a copy of the textbook which is used for preparation and revision.
Students that have already used the textbook have reported that together with the preparatory online study it has been of great assistance in helping them prepare for, and pass, the rather intensive full days training and examination.
To Register - See bottom of page for Registration Form
This course is also available for delivery on-site for groups of 6 or more. Please contact Ann on +44 207 193 8018 to discuss arrangements.