A one-day course designed as a follow up to the Certified PROFIBUS Installer Course, which is in most cases pre-requisite to signing up for this course. Unless the student has already passed the Certified PROFIBUS Installer Course, it is recommended to enroll for both courses on successive days of the same week. Covering the practical techniques of faultfinding on 'operational' PROFIBUS networks.
Techniques taught on the course include the use of a modern PROFIBUS analyser and Class-I and Class-II master functions (engineering tools such as ProfiTrace) to diagnose network faults, device faults and I/O problems. Students also learn how to use a soft digital storage oscilloscope in conjunction with these tools to diagnose and accurately locate cable, connection and device faults.
Click here to access and download the Price List & Order Form
Since 2010, introduction to the PA Profile and practical sessions on PA engineering tools are added. The course is more modular and became a pre-requisite for the Certified Engineer Course. The content of this course is not repeated in the Certified Engineer Course.
Since November 2013, most of the theory training has been converted to an on-line system with accompanying text book enabling trainees to get a much better understanding of the course content before arriving at the Training Centre.
The textbook, "PROFIBUS in Practice - System Engineering, Troubleshooting and Maintenance", is posted to you after registration and is also available on Amazon.
What does the course cover?
This is a practical course based around a working PROFIBUS network with operational devices. Each pair of students has a modern notebook computer with hardware and software for PROFIBUS device exercising and fault-finding.
- Network Configuration and Cycle Time Estimation
- GSD Files and Configuration
- ProfiTrace Class I and Class II Master Functions
- Exercise 1 - Configuration
- Exercise 2 - Build a Network
2. Bus Analyser
- Protocol Analysers
- ProfiTrace Ultra
- Message Filtering
- Message Triggering
- Exercise 3 - Reading messages
- Exercise 4 - Capturing and interpreting a message
3. Troubleshooting and Health Checking
- Common PROFIBUS Faults
- Reflections and Reflection Measurement
- Extended Diagnostics
- Configuration Faults
- Exercise 5 - Generating and locating reflections
- Exercise 6 - Cable length estimation
4. Class 2 Master Services
- Class 2 Commands
- Stealing a Slave
- Exercise 7 - Stealing a slave
5. PA Engineering Tools
- PA Device Parameters
- The PA Profile
- Data Exchange
- Using ProfiTrace on PA Segments
- A DTM Asset Management Tool - FieldCare
- Exercise 8 - Reading PA device data
- Duration: 1 day ( 9:00 am - 4:30 pm)
- Pre-requisite: the Certified PROFIBUS Installer Course
Feedback from previous attendees:
- "I just want to say it was a great course and have already booked in first job from it." - Jake Little, K Little Control Systems Ltd
- "Really informative with an instructor who clearly knew her stuff" - Adam Sheppard, EfW Maintenance Technician - E, C & I, SITA UK Ltd
- "In comparison to other courses, this course is positioned at the top of the tree with the balance of online modules, published text books and class room learning, providing an excellent learning experience." - Paul Farrington, Zariv Ltd
- "I found the course excellent and learnt a lot. The equipment, tools and software provided was the best available. I will be back to complete certified engineer course." - Joseph Carroll, J Carroll Ltd
- "Thank you very much, it was a pleasure attending your course. As soon as I get the chance, I will be getting in touch in respect to furthering our qualifications in this field." - Steve Godfrey, Ham Baker Adams Ltd
This course is also available on-site. Contact Ann on +440 207 193 8018 if you have a requirement for a group to be trained.